ALL-NEW FORD FOCUS DEBUTS IN THE PHILIPPINES
Thu, Jul 5, 2012
ALL-NEW FORD FOCUS DEBUTS IN THE PHILIPPINES
- All-New Focus is the next of eight global One Ford vehicles Ford will introduce to the Philippines by mid-decade
- All-New Focus adds to Ford’s transforming showroom in the Philippines, providing customers with a completely redesigned car that makes driving fun, safe and easy
- The new Focus is packed with smart and affordable technologies that are segment-first, including Active Park Assist and Active City Stop systems which aid the driver automatically; it is also equipped with Ford’s voice-activated SYNC® connectivity package
- The new Focus features a completely new Duratec 2.0-litre Ti-VCT GDi engine that utilizes the latest powertrain technologies to deliver 20 percent more power than the previous model while delivering a significant improvement in fuel economy
MANILA, Philippines, July 5, 2012 – The all-new Ford Focus makes its Philippine debut, setting a new standard in its segment with its unmatched combination of smart technologies, outstanding fuel economy, expressive design, responsive performance, responsive performance and high levels of craftsmanship and occupant safety.
The dynamic Ford Focus will go on sale in the Philippines in September and will be produced at Ford’s new USD 450-million, state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Rayong, Thailand, which will supply the entire ASEAN region as well as other export markets.
A key element of the Ford product portfolio in the Philippines, the all-new Focus has been expanded to include the new high-series Titanium+ and Sport+ variants that offer high levels of convenience and comfort.
Distinguished by its sleek and sporty design, the all-new Focus is packed with more affordable smart technologies and features than ever in this segment.
“The all-new Focus represents the strengths and benefits of our global One Ford strategy in serving our customers across the region and in the Philippines,” said Randy Krieger, president, Ford Group Philippines. “We’ve gone further in every aspect of this next-generation vehicle to give our customers quality, fuel efficiency, safety and smart technology beyond their expectations.”
Developed in Europe, sold around the world
With over 10 million units sold since its introduction in 1998, the Ford Focus has become a firm favourite with consumers worldwide for its outstanding value, comfort and safety, and above all, for being great fun to drive.
Following an unprecedented global development program under the company’s One Ford strategy, the next-generation Focus is set to continue the successful tradition of its predecessors. The all-new Focus demonstrates how Ford can scale to meet the universal needs of worldwide customers, while fine-tuning to suit regional preferences.
Developed in Europe, for sale in over 120 markets worldwide with 80 percent parts commonality, the all-new Ford Focus is the hero model created from Ford’s new global C-car platform, which will underpin at least 10 vehicles around the world and account for two million units of annual production.
“The all-new Focus is the next of eight vehicles that we will bring to ASEAN and the Philippines by mid-decade, continuing the successful, product-led transformation of our business,” said Krieger. “The all-new Ford Focus will expand our appeal to a whole new generation of consumers in our market.”
A Smart Focus
The global scale of Ford’s C-car program makes additional technologies and features more economically viable for cars in this segment. This exceptional technology investment is aimed at ensuring the all-new Focus offers customers an exciting spread of advanced features generally found only in larger, more expensive vehicles.
Leading the way is Ford SYNC® which provides hands-free, voice-activated in-car connectivity. This award-winning system allows customers to connect almost any mobile phone or digital media player to their all-new Focus via Bluetooth® and USB connection respectively. The driver is able to make calls or play his or her favourite music via voice commands and a steering wheel-mounted control, all the time with eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
The all-new Focus also offers an array of smart features that assist the driver, many of which are a first in the segment:
- Active Park Assist: With the touch of a button, the all-new Focus driver can parallel park easily – totally hands-free. This nifty system uses sensors around the Focus to help identify a feasible spot then steer the car into the space. The driver controls the accelerator, brake and gears.
- Active City Stop: This collision-mitigation system monitors the road ahead for stationary traffic and then brakes automatically if its sensors detect the car in front has stopped unexpectedly.
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®): When a vehicle enters the all-new Focus’ blind spot, an orange light appears in the corresponding side mirror as a caution. Likewise when backing out of a parking spot with limited visibility, BLIS can warn the driver of impending traffic from either side of the Focus.
- Smart Keyless Entry: This feature enables the Focus customer to lock or unlock the driver’s door without taking the key out of a bag or a pocket. Sensors around the car detect the presence of the key fob and lock or unlock the door when the driver grabs the door handle.
- Ford Power Start: The engine can be turned on simply by pushing the Ford Power Start button while holding the clutch down (or brake pedal on an automatic). There is no need to insert a key into the ignition. The all-new Focus will start as long as the key fob is in the cabin.
To make life on the road even easier, the all-new Focus comes with dual-zone electronic air-conditioning, rain-sensing wipers, automatic headlamps, cruise control, powered sunroof and an innovative auto-dimming rear view mirror that automatically detects headlight glare and switches to a dimmed setting.
A Green Focus
The all-new Focus features a completely new Duratec 2.0-litre Ti-VCT GDi engine that combines high-pressure gasoline direct injection (GDi) and twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) for enhanced performance and fuel efficiency. Delivering 170PS of power and 202Nm of torque, the engine boasts almost 20 percent more power than the previous Focus 2.0-litre unit while delivering a significant improvement in fuel economy.
This 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine is mated with the latest six-speed Ford PowerShift automatic transmission. A high-efficiency dual dry-clutch design, this advanced transmission is also offered with SelectShift Automatic™ functionality, allowing drivers to manually control gear selection.
A second powertrain comes in the form of a Duratec 1.6-litre Ti-VCT engine that serves up 125PS of power and 159Nm of torque at outstanding fuel efficiency. This engine can be matched to either the six-speed Ford PowerShift automatic transmission or a five-speed manual transmission.
The four-door sedan has a drag coefficient as low as 0.295, thanks to a streamlined shape and a steeply raked windshield. These design details combine with the Active Grille Shutter system – which uses vents to automatically control airflow through the grille to the cooling system and engine – to significantly reduce drag and help reduce Focus wind noise at speed while contributing to improved fuel efficiency.
A Quality Focus
Both the all-new Focus four-door sedan and five-door hatchback models share a sporty character, reflecting Ford’s acclaimed kinetic design form language. With a striking front end, sleek profile, dramatic rising beltline and athletic stance, the new Focus signals the rewarding experience awaiting a driver.
The dynamic quality of the new Focus’ exterior is reinforced by the distinctive design inside, featuring a modern, cockpit-style interior with a stylish centre console.
This space combines functionality with outstanding craftsmanship. Bold and contemporary graphics, the sculptured shape of the soft-touch instrument panel, and superior trim materials unite to give occupants a premium-class experience.
Noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) levels have been reduced and driving dynamics improved by the increased stiffness of the body structure, which is 30 percent more rigid than the previous Focus model.
The all-new Focus raises the benchmark to target class-leading driving quality, blending communicative steering with significantly improved ride quality. The car’s chassis design is complemented by a new electric power-assisted steering (EPAS) system that has been carefully tuned to deliver precise response at highway speeds while remaining light and manoeuvrable at lower speeds for ease of parking.
Ford engineers have enhanced Focus’ cornering agility and stability with the introduction of an advanced Torque Vectoring Control system, which is fitted as standard equipment.
The system behaves like a limited-slip differential to constantly balance distribution of torque between the driven front wheels, which results in reduced under steer, improved traction and better turn-in. This technology has, up to now, typically only been available on premium sports vehicles.
A Safe Focus
The all-new Focus was designed to exceed global safety standards for occupant and pedestrian protection.
High-strength steels comprise 55 percent of Focus’ exceptionally strong and light body shell, with ultra-high-strength and boron steels making up more than 26 percent of the skeletal structure. These advanced materials help Focus meet crash regulations across world markets while minimizing the vehicle’s weight and contributing to fuel economy.
Passive safety features include a new generation of advanced airbag restraint systems with driver and front passenger airbags, side front airbags and segment-exclusive side curtain airbags for front- and rear-seat occupants.
The driver’s airbag uses a reconfigured curve-shaped tether system that pulls in the lower section to create a “pocket” to help lessen the impact of the airbag on the driver’s chest and ribs in frontal crashes. Innovative side airbags feature unique shoulder vents that stay open and reduce pressure for smaller occupants who typically benefit from reduced forces.
The all-new Focus also features a comprehensive suite of advanced active safety technologies to help the driver maintain safe control of the vehicle and avoid collision situations.
A state-of-the-art Electronic Stability Program system is at the heart of many of the active safety features, and uses intelligent logic to monitor the vehicle’s progress and apply effective – and often imperceptible – intervention when required. The system incorporates Emergency Brake Assist, Hill Launch Assist and Anti-Lock Brake System which includes Electronic Brakeforce Distribution.
“The all-new Ford Focus will offer customers an unbeatable combination of segment-first smart technology and impressive fuel economy,” said Krieger. “And like every Focus before, it will offer a tremendous driving experience.”
The All-New Focus in the Philippines
The all-new Focus will officially go on sale in dealerships nationwide in September at:
- PhP 1,199,000 for the 2.0L Focus Titanium+ Sedan and the 2.0L Focus Sport+ Hatchback
- PhP 989,000 for the 1.6L Focus Trend Hatchback and Sedan
- PhP 929,000 for the 1.6L Focus Ambiente Hatchback and Sedan
- PhP 859,000 for the 1.6L Focus Ambiente Sedan MT
The all-new Focus is available the following colors: Frozen White, Ingot Silver, Panther Black, Winning Blue and Candy Red for the 5-door hatchback; and Frozen White, Ingot Silver, Panther Black and Lunar Sky for the 4-door sedan.
- Bluetooth® is a registered trade mark of Bluetooth SIG Inc., and is used under license.
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) is available in the 2.0L Focus Titanium+ Sedan.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles in 200 markets across six continents. With about 244,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s core and affiliated automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo, Mazda, and until completion of their sale, Jaguar Land Rover. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.